Thursday, May 1, 2014

Leaving Time is Getting Closer!

It is May 1.  I leave for Prince George, BC on May 31.  That places today within the same month as leaving time.  Wow.  It seemed like it was so far away when I signed up, and now it is almost here. 

I have been getting prepared and am almost ready.  I have to get a few minor items and pack everything, but it should be easy.  I am really looking forward to getting started.

May 1 has another meaning for any Formula One racing fan.  On this day, 20 years ago, Ayrton Senna was killed in a one car accident in Imola, Italy, while being chased by the young Michael Schumacher.  It was truly a turning point in the series as the fastest driver ever was gone forever while the new dominant driver was just making his start.  I attended a F1 race there in 1981, the first annual San Marino Grand Prix.  

It was a strange day for me too.  A few days before, I had a retina tear in my right eye.  I luckily went for treatment at a fine office where they sealed the tear with a laser, a procedure where they essentially welded the retina to the back of the eye with the heat from the laser.  It was a fearful moment for me, especially because the night before the race, I thought the retina might be detaching.  I called my doctor and he set up an appointment with another opthalmologist to look at the eye.  The appointment was at a time halfway through the race.  I was sitting there thinking that the accident was a bad one, but without knowing the result.  Luckily for me, my eye was ok and has been ever since.  Unluckily, we lost the fastest driver the world has ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment