So today I thought I would give it a shot in my garage during the relative cool of the morning. I got it ready and prepared lighting for the operation. The new carburetor came out of the box and I went into the engine compartment to begin the work. First thing was disconnecting the hoses and throttle. Then the air box and connection to the intake manifold. This was easy.
I removed the old one and compared it to the new one. One area had a cover on the old one with a spring and brass plug inside. The new one did not have anything here. I called Boris who said that it was probably a connection to something that my scooter didn't have and the manufacturer changed the casting to eliminate it.
Then I began installing the new carburetor. What a chore. There is a small rubber bellows near the throttle that came loose after connecting two hoses. There was no way to get it reattached in the engine bay so I took everything out and got it connected.
Then back again and the bellows came free again.
Out, fix and back again. I finally got most of the hoses connected but the fat hose going to the air box wouldn't fit. I took the screws out of the air box so I could manipulate it some but still no connection. I was exhausted after working on it all morning so I packed up and called it a day.
It did fire up so most of what I did worked well.
Blurry photo of the engine bay with the carburetor mostly disconnected.
The two carburetors
The blank where the old one had a cover and parts inside
And the little bellows that gave me so much trouble.