Monday, September 24, 2018

Switzerland

I have traveled to Switzerland five times since 1981.

Sarah and I went back three weeks ago to visit Marianne and the other relatives who have become family to the Florida Leutholds.

This visit was spectacular.

We flew into Zurich, rented a car and drove to Oberrieden to the lakefront house called Loogarten. 

This house was the home to three women, all Leutholds, when I visited there with my friend Mike in 1981.  The three were all in their 80's and 90's then.  They were Elizabeth, Lydia and Johanna.  Lydia was the mother of Heini, who my mother found in the late 1970's.  Heini and his wife Marianne became fast friends.  They would trade visits every year for the next twenty or so with Heini and Marianne coming to visit Florida every other year and my parents going to Switzerland on the off years.

Through them, we met other relatives and are staying in touch, visiting with Ruedi and Regula in Thun this time and having Cristof and Justine visit while we were in Oberrieden.  Sarah and I traveled with their son Valentin on one of the days too.

Switzerland is the most beautiful country I have visited.  The natural scenery is unmatched with the lakes, farms, meadows and alps sometimes all in the same view.  The small towns are lovely and Zurich, Bern, Thun and Basel all being filled with people working, shopping and visiting.

I could easily live there.

From the cog train heading to the top of Chaserrugg.

Sarah and Valentin at Chaserrugg

More views from Chaserrugg. 

Sarah and me with Bern behind.

Distant cousins Ruedi and Regula on the tour of Bern.

Scenic stop between Thun and Bern.

View from the top at Chaserrugg.  Walensee is the lake below.

Dining with Cristof, Marianne, Justine and Sarah on the balcony
of Loogarten, overlooking Lake Zurich 

Lake Thun

Paddle wheeler on Lake Thun from Ruedi's boat.



No comments:

Post a Comment