Friday, October 10, 2014

Lambretta

A couple of weeks ago I was talking scooters with a friend while standing in line to pay for lunch at Whiteway Deli.  Another friend was listening and told me that she had an old Lambretta sitting in her garage.  I asked if she would be willing to sell it and she said yes.

She has had it since the mid seventies.  Turns out that she bought it in Washington from someone who was being shipped off to Asia.  He sold it to her for $1.00.

She rode it for a while, but it has been sitting in her garage for more than thirty years.  She said that her 33 year old daughter has never seen it.

I called yesterday to go for a visit and we went to the garage and took off the cover to expose an old, worn Lambretta Li 125, Series III.  I believe from 1963.  It turns over when kicked, but everything is old and stiff, as to be expected.

She suggested a trade for me to take it home.  I design a small porch on the back of the house and she turns the Lambretta over to me.  It is certainly a good deal for her, but I like that sort of thing.

I contacted Boris, who said he can get it going again.

I am going to do it!


The cover came off.....

Dents and old paint, but it should be a runner soon.  I love the twin seats.

It looks fine inside too.

It appears to be in good condition for one that has been sitting for more than 30 years.  
It has 2200 miles on the odometer.


2 comments:

  1. That's a really nice find Bill.

    I can't wait to see the project evolve.

    Maybe Boris will document the restoration ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will document its revival on Rocket and Me for all of my fans. (All one of them. That would be you, David) I enjoy posting here and part of it is based on advice given to me by Ken (Lostboater) He said that the blog is for me more than for others to read. It really does give me a place to go to remember cool things in my recent life. And when I do begin my screenplay for Rocket and Me, The Movie, I will have a great starting place.

    ReplyDelete