Monday, April 4, 2016

Photography From a Moving Scooter

My friend Dave, Fledermaus on MV, asked me recently about my technique for taking photos from my moving scooter.

Some use a fixed camera that can be activated by remote control.  Some use a GoPro and capture still shots from the video.

I do it the old fashioned way.  I attach the camera to a lanyard that stays around my neck.  The camera usually stays in the left coat pocket (the non throttle side).  I pull it out when I want to take photos and often leave the camera loose until I hit another boring stretch of road.

Camera in the left pocket at the Beartooth Pass in Wyoming

I lead many rides, so I often shoot to the following riders by holding the camera over my shoulder, then snap the shutter with my gloved hand.

Looking back yesterday on 315 near Interlachen, Florida

It usually works well, but I often miss shots or the photo is of something other than the planned subject.

Thought I was taking a photo of something else.  Got a good one of my chin and nose.

Doing this does cause some distraction.  I don't take photos in locations where I could be in danger by moving around in my lane.  Not on mountain corners or heavy traffic.  I usually slow down a bit when taking the photos, but having the photos after a ride makes it all worth the distraction.

I can take them at any speed. This one at checkpoint 1, day 1 2014 Scooter Cannonball Run.

On the Chief Joseph Highway in Wyoming.  Drew leading.

Banff National Park

Banff National Park

Taking photos this past club ride to Melrose, I was using my new camera with a new lanyard.  It was a bit too loose and was captured in several images.  This even throws off the focus as the camera believes that the lanyard is the subject.

The camera focusing on the lanyard.  I must get a better fit.



12 comments:

  1. Just hang it around your neck and let in dangle into your lap. Then pick it up when you want to take a pic and let it drop again. That's what I do and the lanyard almost never gets in the picture. Of course, I sometimes take a picture of my knee or the glove box in the process. And crop the rest. On any given ride, I take 100 pictures. 40 are good, 30 need cropping and 30 more get thrown away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good information Russ, I leave it in my lap a lot. But on long stretches where I am not taking photos, I put it back in my pocket. Especially with the new Canon. I don't want that one banging around any more than necessary.

      Delete
  2. I have wanting to take more photos but I think I am better off just stopping for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert, It is easier than you think. The key is to have the camera attached to you. Then the worry of dropping it is not part of the overall process.

      Delete
  3. Great job! Always on the move and every corner has a new view. I'ld like to join you one day after I get a bigger ride. Zoom on.... Toby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've found a lanyard compatible with my iPhone. This will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But there is nothing on the iPhone to connect to. Must have a case with a hole.

      Delete
    2. Not exactly. You loop a string around the otter case and that clips to the main lanyard. $7 for three on Amazon. I expect to be experimenting later this week.

      Delete
  5. I'm still impressed with your pictures, Bill. Especially the over-the-shoulder shots. I had been using an older Canon that I'd brought along to AV, but it's gotten wonky, and was too thick to tuck into my jacket and otherwise made a great pendulum, but I've confiscated a smaller one my wife wasn't using which should be just the ticket.

    During the Speedway lap at AV last year, it was interesting to see the number of riders capturing the moment.

    Oh, and by the way, it was a bit of a surprise to see my name leading this post! My 2 and a half seconds of fame. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my old, little Canon that works great at making moving pictures. I sometimes have to abandon gloves if I want good photos.

      And Dave, if you consider being seen by maybe 100 views to make you famous, then this is the place.

      Delete
    2. I'll take the fame. I have low aspirations. ;o)

      Delete
  6. I use the same technique. I learned that from Sonja, works like a charm.

    For video I use a GoPro on a RAM mount and I wear the remote on a lanyard.

    I think your photos are better than mine. The Banff shots are amazing. What a huge temperature variation on that Cannonball.

    ReplyDelete