Friday, April 29, 2016

Rocket Breaks a Belt

One weakness of the Vespa GT is the belt drive.  Vespa calls for them to be changed every 8000 miles.  I have had one break in 30 miles (2014 Cannonball after changing it on a bad variator), and around 2500 miles years ago.  They usually last until the change but with the miles on Rocket, it goes through them quicker than before.

I decided to ride Rocket to a jobsite meeting at the beach a few days ago. While passing almost everyone on Butler Boulevard heading out, I got that pause in the stream of power that indicates a belt going south. But it didn't break so I slowed a bit, to mid 60 mph and continued. It stumbled on Ponte Vedra Boulevard. At a light I could smell it burning and looked down and saw a piece of belt thrown onto the roadway. But I rode slowly and made it to the house in Sawgrass. 

Of course, I had left tools and spare parts at the office to make room for the drawings, tape measures and work related things. When the meeting was over, I arranged for Dave, the builder, to let me ride back to town with him. But before we left, I cranked up Rocket to use its power to help me get into the house. It groaned a little and wouldn't push at all. Definitely in need of replacement, that I will do later in the week. 

Here are photos of Rocket in its temporary home, the guest room at a Sawgrass house.



My client is going to be in town this Saturday.  She offered to pick me and the tools up and drive me to the beach.  There I will replace the belt and drive home.

5 comments:

  1. Your Lambretta has no belts. Ponder that one, Oh Cannonballer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, no belt, but no power or reliability either. I will stay with a GT.

      Delete
  2. Conchscooter actually I'm on a borrowed log in. And my belt-free Vespa is getting a go-fast modification. Perhaps 65mph. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I ever changed a belt at more than 6,000 miles and I have never had one fail. Knock wood (as I nock my noggin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my fourth belt failure, all on Rocket. On top of that, I have had the outer drive pulley come loose and strip the splines twice. My expert friend George, Motovista on MV, says that it may be the age of the engine and worn crankshaft bearings causing vibration. It doesn't matter, I will fix it and keep riding.

      Delete