Today, I had two tasks.
Number one was to replace the exhaust gasket on Razzo. It was blowing when I got home from the Oyster Tour. With a ride tomorrow to Steinhatchee, it had to be replaced. This was easily done.
Number two was to check the spark plug tightness on Rocket. The plug blew out on a short ride last Sunday, causing me to change the plug and reinstall a new one on the side of the road. I put the new one in, but was not satisfied with the tightness.
I used a new extension that worked with a 1/4" ratchet, so not too much leverage. I tightened the new plug lightly, but found it to not tighten, offering no resistance. So I removed it to check it out and reinstall. I found this time that it simply could be fully inserted without screwing it in. In and out it now slides. I can't run it doing that.
So it now requires a helicoil, new head or more.
Because I have a replacement engine, with only 6000 miles on it instead of the 76,000 on this one, I am quite certain that replacing the engine is the best move.
I will be calling Chris this week.